The Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication train the students of journalism and Public Relations at the undergraduate level, in order to attain the thinking and practice of the profession as leaders in the field of communicative and responsible, productive, committed and ethical citizens in the Afghan society and the international community.
This mission pursues two academic and professional dimensions in applied education of journalism and strategic communications in order to coordinate Afghanistan's media and communication system with international standards. Developing critical and creative thinking in media institutions and audiences, combined with human and moral values, excellence, creativity and diversity, the development of dynamic and professional journalism skills to improve and strengthen the social role of the profession of journalism and mass communication in Afghan society. It is also the main mission of this faculty.
We seek to integrate and apply journalism education and mass communication, research, development and new media technologies with an emphasis on preparing students for the various fields of specialized journalism and strategic communications.
Achieving a superior faculty in education on the quality and standard of journalism and Mass Communication among the faculty of journalism and communicative communication of Afghan universities by the year 1399 solar.
The Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication of Herat University emphasizes a number of fundamental values in defining goals, expectations and organizational performance criteria, and places these values at the heart of its programs and practices. We are committed to these fundamental values:
• Excellence in education and research
• Creativity and innovation in educational and learning activities
• Commitment and social responsibility
• Professional ethics in education and practice
• Encourage learning by doing practical tasks
Goals and objectives
1. Training and educating of a committed and specialized media force to meet the educational, research and service needs of the journalism and community communication community in Afghanistan.
2. Meeting the urgent need of the country to train media professionals and public relations in order to serve in the public relations offices of corporate communications and marketing of public, private and cooperative sectors, and cultural and press offices abroad in order to advance development programs of the country.
3. Promoting, promote and institutionalize the values of freedom of expression, freedom of information and the press in Afghan society, and to contribute to the health and development of democracy and the free flow of information.
4. Educating of modern journalism and media types in accordance with the professional standards of international media and the application of journalism to new information and communication technologies.
5. Training specialized journalists and well-trained experts for news agencies, press, radio, television and online media with critical and creative thinking to play the role of media monitoring in the Afghan Democratic community.
6. Training the specialist for information, awareness and communication, as well as establishing communication between the government and the community at the national and international levels.
7. Providing day-to-day resources and resources to train mass communication, learning, research and media services.
8. Developing students' ethical awareness and behavior in the field of journalism, public relations and media research.
9. Developing of theoretical and practical education in multi-media newsroom and technology lab for students of journalism and public relations.
Conducting apprenticeships for the experience of education and theory and connecting students to the media market and the bachelor of public relations and creating opportunities in the professional media of the country and public and private organizations for the development of students' skills. In both fields of political and economic orientation.
Journalism and Mass Communication of Herat University had academic agreements with San Jose University of the United States. During this time, the curriculum of the faculty was equal to the global criteria and the faculty members of this faculty in short-term programs and have been trained and trained in the United States, Turkey, India and the United Arab Emirates for a variety of academic, educational and research intermediate years. The Faculty of Journalism has also collaborated with the Dewecha Wella Academy of Germany, and was trained on the basis of this scientific collaboration of professors and students in the field of television journalism and teaching methods.